English level C2 is the sixth and final level of English in the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR), a definition of different language levels written by the Council of Europe. In everyday speech, this level might be called “bilingual”, as in “I am bilingual in English and French.” A well-educated native English speaker is technically at a C2 level.
Teaching Proficiency level students can be extremely draining especially if you are using materials that focus on discrete grammatical items (or even vocabulary items) which they may in all likelihood have seen before or, worse, will never see again. Without knowing your class better, it’s hard to come up with a single magic solution but here are some books which might give you and your students a helping hand in reaching your goals.
Books worth considering!
AHEAD WITH CPE
Ahead with CPE, is a practice test book which includes:
- 8 complete practice tests for the Cambridge examInformation about the CPE with a detailed description of each section of the exam is included
- Tips-strategies for exam preparation
- Alphabetised glossary
- Sample answers for writing paper (teachers' books)
- Sample dialogue for speaking paper (teachers' book)
- Full listening tape scripts available online
- MP3 CD included
The Skills Builder can be used in correlation with the Ahead with CPE practice tests or independently and it includes:
- 50 pages of preparation and skills practice for the CPE Writing and Speaking papers
- Specific instruction and preparation for all the Writing parts
- Specific instruction and preparation for all the Speaking parts
PERSPECTIVES ON PROFICIENCY
Perspectives on Proficiency from Burlington Books is a comprehensive course providing thorough preparation for a wide range of examinations at C1 and C2 level. Carefully researched to meet the needs of students and teachers in Greece, Perspectives on Proficiency examines up-to-date topics from a variety of different perspectives. Corpus-based vocabulary work enables students to acquire the vocabulary essential at this level, and the grammar syllabus focuses on advanced usage. Reading comprehension and discussion tasks help develop students’ critical thinking skills. There is an emphasis on transferable skills for listening and speaking, and the comprehensive writing programme covers all genres tested on major proficiency exams, including the CPE summary essay.
The student’s package consists of Student’s Book, Workbook and Companion, and for the teacher there are Teacher’s Editions of the Student’s components and a full Teacher’s Guide. State-of-the-art whiteboard software, complete with documentary videos that complement the course, is available for schools. The Workbook is also available as a fully interactive digital component and teachers can monitor their students’ progress using the Burlington LMS.
ON SCREEN C2
On Screen is a series that combines active English learning with a variety of lively topics presented in themed modules.
- An integrated approach to the development of all four language skills
- Notions and functions
- Vocabulary presentation and practice
- Variety of reading, listening and speaking tasks
- Grammar presentation in context
- Activities encouraging critical thinking as well as web research
- Writing sections containing models and development of writing skills & Writing bank
- Realistic pairwork and groupwork activities
- Pronunciation and Intonation sections
- Study Skills to help students become autonomous learners
- Practical English sections preparing students to use the language in real-life situations
- Culture sections & CLIL sections for each module
- Language Review.
- Grammar Reference section
- Interactive Whiteboard (IWB) Software
- Interactive eBook
- Writing Books that help students practise and improve their writing skills
- Public Speaking / Presentation Skills booklets to help learners become effective communicators and competent public speakers
- Digital Platform
GRAMMAR AND VOCABULARY PRACTICE B1+/ B2
The best general Coursebook for C1/C2 Level
TARGETING PROFICIENCY is a comprehensive coursebook that focuses on the acquisition and correct usage of the English language. The graded material steadily builds up students’ language competency, making it the ideal coursebook for students wishing to advance to C1 / C2 level in English.
Thorough practice in all 4 skills – reading, speaking, listening and writing through a variety of topics explored in detail from interesting and thought-provoking angles.
Special LANGUAGE AWARENESS section in every lesson. These sections contain a wealth of interesting advanced language points concerning the intricacies of the English language, which will help students acquire a real feel for the language. Students are also given help with the pronunciation of words that are commonly mispronounced.
TARGETING PROFICIENCY provides students with the knowledge and skills they need to tackle any C1 / C2 level examination.
Components for the student: Coursebook with free Writing Task Booklet, Workbook with free Study Companion (includes Grammar), Test Booklet, Interactive e-book
Components for the teacher: Teacher’s Editions of all student’s components, Teacher’s Resource Booklet, IWB Software, Audio CDs
- Motivating and contemporary topics with multicultural and cross-curricular information
- Lively dialogues presenting functional language in real-life situations
- Reading material from authentic sources
- An integrated approach to the development of the four skills
- Special emphasis on vocabulary building
- Grammar presented and practised in context
- Systematic development of reading and listening skills and subskills
- A variety of communicative tasks
- Step-by-step approach to writing
- Activities encouraging critical thinking and personal response
- Task-based activities preparing learners for the real world
- Practical tips helping students to become autonomous learners
- A round-up section in each module providing regular revision and consolidation
- A grammar reference section
- A digital vocabulary list
Μπες στο www.webooks.gr και βρες πάνω από 1000 βιβλία για τα επίπεδα B2, C1 και C2.